• Telephone: (0)1424 210 202
  • Fax: (0)1424 217 096
  • Email: enquiries@bayhousecare.co.uk


Below is a comprehensive and in-depth ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ charter which will clarify many queries that you may have about life at Bay House.

Please note: Throughout the text we will refer to the ‘relative’ for ease of reading. This is used as a broad term and includes any resident whom you are representing, e.g. as an advocate or friend. The important point is that you are our immediate point of contact relating to the affairs of the resident.

What is my role as a relative/representative?

The remit of your role will depend on the arrangement you have made with your relative/the resident who you are representing. You have the opportunity to have as much input as you wish into the care we provide. You will be invited to review the individual’s plan of care on a regular basis. Generally, all matters relating to their stay will be communicated to you as and when necessary, subject to the informed consent of the resident.

How can I be sure that the home is able to meet the specific needs which my relative/resident I am representing has?

At the point of initial enquiry we will ask some questions that will give us an idea if this is an appropriate home from the person concerned. If we feel it is not we would inform you at that point. However, if we think that we can support your relative then we will invite you to meet us and have a further discussion. If our home is to be chosen, we would go ahead and arrange to visit your relative/the resident you are representing to carry out a formal Pre-Admission Assessment. This in-depth assessment would identify the individuals specific needs. If through the assessment we find that we are able to meet these needs we would then proceed with the placement knowing that we could provide the appropriate care.

Who makes decisions regarding the care of my relative/resident which I am representing?

The overall management of care of your relative/resident which you are representing will be overseen by the Home Manager, Tanya Goddard. However, the day-to-day supervision and management of the care staff looking after the individual, will be carried out by the Registered Nurse in charge. Input and advice will be sought as and when necessary from other individuals such as GPs, the Community Matron and other specialists in the medical arena. We need to be sure that our residents are able to make ‘informed’ decisions at all times and that they are able to understand the consequences of their decisions. Relative to this aspect of care we are governed by the Mental Capacity Act 2007. There are booklets in the home that give a full explanation to you and your relative. It is most important that we are made aware of any Advanced Decisions (such as a Living Will) that the resident has made, as this will influence the care given to them at any time. Although it is something of a tricky subject we must be made aware of any specific wishes your relative has discussed with you if and when they become ill. This may happen very suddenly and they may not make a successful recovery. There is a great difference in managing a resident who we are all of gradually declining and is not expected to survive, to managing a resident who suddenly collapses. That is why it is important that we are fully aware of the resident’s/representative’s wishes.

How can I know if my relative/resident which I am representing is going to like it as Bay House?

As the relative/representative responsible for choosing a home for the individual, there will be no one else who will know better whether or not they will be happy at Bay House. You will have the opportunity to ask many questions relating to any aspects on the running of the home prior to admission. Please feel free to put forward suggestions on how we could ensure that our new resident is content and feels at home.

Can personal belongings be brought into the home?

You are welcome to bring some of their personal belongings to add familiarity to their environment. You will need to talk to the manager regarding the amount and suitability of the items, and anything that has brought into the home must be clearly marked with the residents name, and be added to the property list. You will need to talk to the Head of Housekeeping who will ensure everything is logged. Any electrical equipment must be handed to the Facilities Manager to be checked for safety.

What are the visting hours of the home?

You are welcome to call in at any time to see your relative. Mornings are the busiest times in the home, but you are welcome to find us as we are: although of course you relative may still be having their personal needs attended to. If you specifically wish to have time with your relative, please let us know beforehand and we will do our best to ensure that they are ready to receive visitors. You’re welcome to speak with any of the staff during your visit however you may wish to make an appointment to ensure that you have some private time with a specific person.

How does the home cater for individual meal preferences?

We will gain an idea of preferences during the initial assessment and ongoing care reviews. Dawn, the Catering Manager visits every resident every day to discuss choices of menu and this will be an opportunity to update her on likes, fancies and dislikes. You can of course talk to any member of staff who will pass information on to Dawn and the Registered Nurses.

How can I contact my relative/resident I am representing by telephone?

Just telephone the home directly and we can transfer of your call to the cordless phone which can be taken to your relative. There is a loudspeaker facility on the phone for the hard of hearing. If the resident is otherwise involved at the time we will arrange for them call you back.

Who do I speak to at the home if I have any concerns?

This will depend on the immediacy and level of concern. The Registered Nurse on shift will listen and act on any concerns you may have, as indeed any one of the Care Assistants. Any issues will be dealt with or passed on to the relevant person. The Heads of Departments are available during the week and they may be able to address your concern there and then. The owner and manager are always available to meet you when they are on duty. Our main concern is to minimise the impact of any concern that you had by addressing it immediately and planning a way forward to resolve it. We appreciate your informing us directly of the concern earlier rather than later, as a rapid solution is beneficial to all parties.

Do I need to provide anything for my relative/resident I am representing or a regular basis?

Your relative/the resident you are representing needs to have sufficient personal clothing and personal footwear to allow for a daily change. This all needs to be labelled very clearly. We may approach you on occasions that replacements of personal clothing are necessary as clothing becomes worn. Personal toiletries can be provided by yourselves or us. We offer a service where a nominal charge per month is added to the period’s invoice. This covers the purchase of the individuals toiletries by ourselves. Residents are provided with individual good-quality products such as shower gels, deodorants, razorblades etc. If you require specific or branded items, these would generally be provided by yourselves.

What other professionals service does the home arrange for and how are they charged for?

he Foot Care Professional visits every six weeks and the homes hairdresser weekly. The cost of this is added to the monthly invoice. If you choose to arrange any other private services such as physiotherapy or aromatherapy, you may organise this yourself or have us organise this for your relative. We also arrange for domiciliary eye testing as a routine. If you wish your relative/resident you are representing to ‘opt out’ of this service please let us know. There is no charge for the eye tests, but spectacles may be charged for and this would be arranged with yourselves. In addition Dental check- ups/treatment can be arranged.

What does the fee payable per week include and what does it not include?

The fee agreed and payable will cover the following: Attention to personal and nursing care in a private/shared room. Provision of meals, beverages and various snacks throughout the day. Provision of a personal laundry service. Housekeeping in personal and communal areas, access to social and recreational activities. Provision of TV licensing and free local phone calls (unless the resident has a private line in their room).

The fees exclude: hairdressing, chiropody, dentistry, provision of spectacles, dry cleaning, taxi and transport charges, external activities, escorts outside the home.

How is the fee calculated and when how is it payable?

For Social Services funded residents:
The fee for your relative/the resident you are representing has been set by the Local Authority’s Service Placement Team. Included in this gross fee will be a contribution made directly by the resident. This amount will be invoiced to the resident/relative/representative on a four weekly basis.
For self funding residents: The fee for your relative/the resident you are representing will be privately agreed with the home. This amount will be invoiced to the resident/representative on a four weekly basis
Please note that all invoices are payable in advance.

What arrangements are there in place for the safekeeping of valuables?

All residents have a locked drawer in their room available to them for any valuables that they may have and wish to keep securely. We recommend that the use is kept to a minimum where possible and we would need these items to be entered on to their property list. When a resident wishes to purchase a service of any items we are happy to make a payment on their behalf and add the cost to the monthly invoice. This avoids the need to keep money and bank cards on their person. However it is the residents choice to keep their items which would be their responsibility.

Are there any rules and regulations with regards to taking my relative/resident I am representing out?

You are able to take your relative/the resident you are representing out at any time that you/they choose. Just let us know when you are planning an outing so that we can be sure that your relative is ready when you are. We will need to ensure that medication or special diets have been suitably arranged for and that any necessary transport has been booked. You may wish to organise an escort to go with you in which case you would need to request this in advance. Please let us know when you are leaving the building and when you return. It is necessary to sign out and in for safety and legal reasons. If you are using a wheelchair for your journey the safety belt and foot plates must be in place.

What arrangements do I need to make with my relatives’/resident which I am representing GPs?

On transfer to our care, The Registered Nurse will inform the GP. If the resident has moved into the area, we will register them with a new GP from one of our local surgeries. For this we will need to complete a registration form and may require photo I.D. They will then have an initial consultation as a ‘new patient’.

How am I kept up to date with my relatives’/resident condition which I am representing?

Individual Care plans are reviewed monthly by the Named Nurse in consultation with the resident and their relative. If there is any significant change of condition, hospital appointment etc at any time we will contact the named persons on the care plan. You are able to call us at any time to catch up on how things are. It is your responsibility to ensure that we have current contact details including times that you may be away. Unless we have been specifically instructed otherwise, we will contact you over any 24 hour period if the Registered Nurse on duty feels there is a specific concern. As always you can visit at any time. If you are visiting your relative/the resident you are representing in hospital you will be given more information by the hospital staff than we have access to all the time they are a patient, so please liaise with us regarding their progress. If the resident has no Next of Kin we will endeavour to visit them whilst they are there and keep in contact.

What happens when my relative/resident which I am representing has to attend an appointment outside of the home?

You are able to take your relative/resident which you are representing to any appointments that you have arranged. Just let us know before hand. If the appointment has been made through us, the nurse in charge will inform you and offer you the opportunity to escort. If hospital transport is required this arrangement is overseen by the nurse in charge. We will ensure that you and the resident have any details to take with you. On your return it is important that you feedback any information pertaining to the visit so that this can be documented. A staff escort service for medical appointments is available on request, however a charge will be made for the service.

If my relative/resident which I am representing condition deteriorates – will you still be able to care for them?

We will endeavour to continue to care for your relative/the resident which you are representing should their condition deteriorate with the support of outside agencies where needed. However it may be appropriate for a hospital transfer if it is in the best interest of the resident. You will be kept informed along the way if this was an appropriate decision. We will always accept our residents back from hospital as soon as possible if we are able to continue with the level of care that they require. Very occasionally it may not be appropriate for a resident to continue in our care due to certain condition changes that we are unable to manage. In this case there would be a full discussion with the resident, yourself and other relevant parties prior to any planned move.

What happens if my relative/resident which I am representing cannot afford to pay for their care?

In some cases the resident may reach a time where their personal capital limit falls below the higher or lower rate for self funding or client contribution. If this does occur the resident will require a further financial assessment from social services. It is your responsibility to inform them of any change.

Myself.,and my colleagues at the club, who also visit my parents from time to time, commend you on how you run the home. Your approach to care most definitely lives up to what you wholeheartedly pledge

Mrs. R - Battle
Read more››